A Tennessee man died of an infected bacteria that eats meat after swimming several times in Florida. His daughter blames the hospital for ignoring her warning that her father could have necrotizing fasciitis.
William Bennett passed away after visiting last week's daughter Cheryl Bennett Wiygul in Florida. They swam in several different water bodies, including the beach in Destin, then in Turkey Creek and in the swamp in Boggy Bayou.
Cheryl has heard reports that people become infected with a bacteria that eats meat in the country and ensures that her father takes additional precautions because she has previously suffered from cancer and can have a compromised immune system.
"My dad had no open wounds. He had a couple of places that were practically healed, small scratches on my hands and legs that I was convinced they were super-sealed. she wrote on Facebook.
Within 12 hours, Bennett began to experience fever, wrinkles and cramps. He went to a hospital in Memphis where they noticed a "A terribly swollen black spot" on the back.
His wife told everyone in the hospital that he was in Florida and that this could be a necrotizing fasciitis, but it was discarded, and the staff allegedly would not have performed a biopsy. The black stain doubled and a new one, along with red bumps on her hands, appeared. Benet's condition worsened seriously and he became septic, and soon he was "encoded" twice before he died.
Laboratory results showed that he had a vibrio vulnificus, which manifests itself in necrotizing fasciitis and causes sepsis. Centers for Disease Control say that vibrating every year causes about 100 deaths in the United States.
A Florida woman died in June after developing necrotizing fasciitis after cutting off her lower leg while walking along the coastline of the island of Anna Maria.
If you like this story, share it with a friend!