Thursday , September 24 2020
Home / germany / The woman had to have her arms and legs amputated

The woman had to have her arms and legs amputated



[ad_1]

After a dog saliva infection, the woman loses her arms and legs

Women in the US had to have their arms and legs amputated after being infected with a dangerous bacterium. She was reportedly infected with dog saliva. A pathogen discovered in a patient can have life-threatening consequences.

Her pet's saliva infection

An Ohio woman had to have her arms and legs amputated after a dog's saliva infection – probably after one of her beloved pets licked her, Yahoo! News. ”Coach Marie told Fox 8 News that her terrible ordeal began when she and her husband returned from a Caribbean vacation earlier this year.

The dog scratches the fur
In the US, women have both their legs and their legs amputated because saliva has infected them with a dangerous bacterium. (Image: nateejindakum / Fotolia.com)

The patient initially thought of the flu

When Mrs. Coach began suffering from nausea and back pain, she initially thought she had the flu. But when her temperature started to fluctuate, she went to the hospital.

It got worse there. Within hours she developed sepsis (blood poisoning).

As her limbs began to deteriorate due to gangrene, doctors introduced the woman to a medically induced coma lasting ten days.

"When I opened my eyes, I didn't know where I was," the coach said. "That's when I found out … It was really hard when I realized they had to remove my legs and arms … it's very difficult to handle," she continued.

The patient spent a total of 80 days in the hospital.

Blood tests showed that she had become infected with Capnocytophaga.

Mrs Trainer's doctors suspect that one of her dogs licked a small scratch on her arm resulting in blood clots typical of the infection.

Although doctors removed as many blood clots as possible to save their lives, it was too late to save limbs.

The infection can be fatal

The bacterium Capnocytophaga occurs in the mouths of dogs and cats.

"In its natural environment, in the form of a dog or cat, the bacterium Capnocytophaga canimorsus does no harm," the University of Basel explains on its website.

"However, if the pathogen enters human tissue and blood through a bite or scratch, it can lead to serious illness," experts write.

"In the absence of antibiotic treatment, bacteria can multiply smoothly and dangerous infections such as gangrene, blood poisoning, meningitis or endocarditis, inflammation of the heart," he continues.

According to a Swiss university, bacterial infection in extreme cases can lead to death.

With the immune system intact, there is usually no danger

According to a report from Yahoo News! Sumon Chakrabarti, an infectious disease and tropical medicine specialist at Trillium Health Partners – Mississauga Hospital in Canada, reports that some species of Capnocytophaga also occur in the human oral flora.

"Humans can also be exposed to animal versions of the bacterium by touching cat or dog saliva," Chakrabarti says.

"This can be due to bites, leaks or scratches, usually from dogs. Most forms of Capnocytophagus from the mouths of animals do not cause disease in humans, and most people with a normal immune system do not become ill by exposure, "the doctor explained.

According to the expert, Capnocytophaga usually causes severe infections only in people with specific health problems such as advanced liver disease, asplenia (spleen malfunction) or high alcohol consumption.

According to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC), people with a weakened immune system, such as people with cancer or HIV infection, are at increased risk of the disease.

The first signs

In the case of an infection, Capnocytophaga comes within hours, for example, after a cat or dog bites to bubble around the bite wound.

Other symptoms may include: redness, swelling, pain in purulent or bite wounds, fever, diarrhea, abdominal pain, vomiting, headache, confusion, and muscle and joint pain.

Most patients show symptoms within three to five days of a bite, according to reports.

According to the report, infections leading to sepsis can lead to death within 24 to 72 hours of symptom onset.

Avoid infections

The CDC recommends washing the bite immediately with soap and water.

The best way to avoid infection is to avoid biting, scratching and licking cats and dogs, Chakrabarti said.

He advises patients who have no functional spleen to avoid close contact with these animals.

When someone with a particularly sensitive condition is bitten by a cat or dog, they usually prescribe brief antibiotic therapy to prevent infection.

"As a doctor of infectious diseases, I recommend people not be licked by any animal," Chakrabarti says.

But, "It's important to remember that it's a very rare disease that affects people with certain health issues. If you don't have any of the above issues, you can still lick your dog or cat without the risk of serious problems." (Advertisement)

sources:

  • University of Basel: From Animals to Humans: How Dangerous Are Bacteria ?, (Available on 08/13/2019), University of Basel

[ad_2]
Source link

About germany