WELLINGTON – Huawei Technologies Co. Ltd said it is seeking clarification from New Zealand after the country's intelligence agency declined the first request from the telecommunications industry to use the equipment of a Chinese firm in its planned 5G mobile network.
Huawei said he did not have formal contacts with the Government's Communication Government (GCSB), which raised concerns about national security in rejecting a proposal from telecommunications operator Spark New Zealand to build its 5G network with Huawei equipment.
"Huawei is seeking an urgent meeting with relevant ministers and officials to understand the position of the government and get clarification of the process from here," Huawei New Zealand Deputy Director Andrew Bowater said in an e-mail message Thursday.
He said that New Zealand did not present any evidence of improper conduct, and Huawei rejected the concept that it threatened in any way local enterprises.
"Huawei would welcome the ability to actively solve any problems and work together to find progress," said Bowater.
Western governments are increasingly abstained from what they say is the possible involvement of the Chinese state in the fifth generation mobile and other communications networks. Huawei insisted Beijing does not affect the company.
Minister of intelligence Andrew Little said that Spark, whose request was part of the first 5G application in the country, could work with the agency to mitigate the risks. He refused to specify the concern, citing secret data.
Huawei has been operating in New Zealand since 2005, providing equipment for the 4G mobile network in the country, and earlier this year it is testing 5G technology with Spark.
"Huawei has always worked in good faith with the government and other players in the industry," Bowater said.
Small and intelligence officials said the 5G network had different security issues with previous generations of mobile networks because it was difficult to limit sellers who considered high risk for less sensitive parts of the network.